28 July 2014

Some thoughts from Psalm 30

Psalms 30:1-5 NLT

I will exalt you, lord , for you rescued me.
You refused to let my enemies triumph over me.
O  lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you restored my health.
You brought me up from the grave, O  lord .
You kept me from falling into the pit of death.
Sing to the lord , all you godly ones!
Praise his holy name.
For his anger lasts only a moment,
but his favor lasts a lifetime!
Weeping may last through the night,
but joy comes with the morning.

How many times has the Lord kept me from falling into a pit, and usually of my own making. I  fall so easily onto a path that can only ever lead to bad things happening, in my own life or others; what the Bible calls evil though we dislike that term. "The broad road that leads to destruction" is just so much easier to walk down. The narrow road calls for courage, discipline, self control, self sacrifice, love and above all faith; real trust that his favour lasts a lifetime and joy comes with the morning. The wonder for me is that every time I send my life careering towards yet another pit, he does enough to get my attention and remind me to cry out for help. Though I may find myself in circumstantial trouble, or spiritual trouble, or both at the same time, he lifts my eyes enough to remind me that my help comes from him. As John says, "If you confess your sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness," because the Lord himself consumed the destruction of the pit for all who cry out to him for rescue. He refused to let our enemies triumph over us to the length of allowing those enemies to triumph over him,  though their victory was always in reality his victory. Surely God is holy, and his anger is justly aimed at evil, but his holiness just as surely issues in rescue and favour and joy the moment anyone heading for the pit cries out to him for rescue. So I  will him who rescued me and with his holy ones I will sing to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment